WITH CHEESE CURDS
What you need
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh cheese curds
- 450 g (4 cups) yellow or Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) hot milk
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) salted butter
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 450 g (1 lb) ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (398 ml) creamed corn
- 1 can (341 ml) corn niblets, well drained (or 250 ml /1 cup of frozen corn niblets, thawed)
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) soya sauce
- A pinch Montréal steak spices
- A few drops Worcestershire sauce
- A pinch paprika (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Let's go cooking
In a food processor or using a knife, chop or cut cheese curds into small cubes. Reserve.
Place potatoes in a large pot of salted cold water.
Drain and put back into pot.
Dry over low heat 1 to 2 minutes to eliminate all moisture.
Add hot milk, 30 ml (2 tablespoons) butter, salt and pepper to potatoes, then mash.
Add cheese curd cubes and mix.
Add green onions. Adjust seasoning and reserve.
Heat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
In a large skillet, melt remaining butter.
Cook onions 5 minutes or until translucent.
Add ground beef and break into small pieces using a wooden spoon.
Add salt and pepper.
Brown meat for 5 to 10 minutes, avoiding mixing in the beginning to cook well.
Half way through cooking, add soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce and steak spices, if desired.
Add pepper then stir well.
Cook until meat is browned and all liquid absorbed.
Spread meat in a 20 cm (8 inch) baking dish pressing it with the back of spoon.
Layer with creamed corn, corn kernels and top with mashed potatoes and cheese.
Sprinkle with paprika or pieces of butter, if desired.
Bake in oven 30 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes to brown crust.